PDA

View Full Version : Kalis Illustrisimo

OzVegan
Mar 09, 2009, 06:49 PM
Finally, I find a martial art close by that I wanted to do.

I found two Kali/Arnis joints close by. One was a mixed martial arts concept. I attended three classes (for free) and decided against it. It had Hapkido and GongKwon Musu as well as Kali/Jeet Kune Do. I don't actually like Korean arts for whatever reason. The Kali was okay but late at night and may be skipped for Jeet Kune Do other martial arts depending. I gave it a miss.

There was this other martial arts group that operated in a University near me. I contacted the instructor by email and he never got back to me :???: Then I found a phone number and phoned his wife, who's phone manner was so bad I got off the phone in less than ten seconds. I almost gave up.

Then I looked up the University in the White Pages and found the clubs number and got one of the other instructors. He was really cool on the phone so I turned up last week and was pleasantly surprised. They are a nice group, no machismo, and free from bowing to flags, forced spiritual concepts and so on. Just martial arts.

They practice Kalis Illustrisimo and Kali Lameco with Vajra boxing.

It's $AUD 50 club fee for the year and $AUD 65 per semester (x2 per year). The price keeps the wife happy which means I can also join an Archery club close by and practice that again.

Man persistence pays off. :-D

Erik
Mar 09, 2009, 07:37 PM
Good job finding a club. You have my envy.

cheesedog
Mar 10, 2009, 01:15 AM
Kali is a great martial art. Have fun!

OzVegan
Mar 10, 2009, 02:29 AM
Good job finding a club. You have my envy.
Wasn't easy. Took me three or four weeks of hard work. Maybe it's Australia that is just difficult.

I youtubed everything aswell to find the arts I would be interested in.

Congratulations on the book too Erik. Just saw it in the signature. It's accomplishments like this that make life worth living.

OzVegan
Mar 10, 2009, 02:31 AM
Kali is a great martial art. Have fun!
Thanks.

I wanted to do this art years ago when I saw it on "The Way of the Martial Arts" on TV but back then I don't think anyone had migrated it from the Phillipines to Australia.

I'll have fun alright :grin:

Raja
Mar 11, 2009, 02:16 AM
Kali/Escrima/Arnis is an awesome art. As far as martial arts go, the southeast asians have the edge lol.

Finding a kali/escrima school in the US, especially where I live is quite tough. None within my area anyways.