PDA

View Full Version : question

Laza MMA
Feb 06, 2009, 08:49 AM
listen, if i hold about 700g - 1 kg in my each hand and i do shadow boxing like that,will that speed my hands up or slow them down

stevenl
Feb 06, 2009, 10:28 AM
how much do your gloves weigh?

Laza MMA
Feb 06, 2009, 11:38 AM
i dont know, small mma gloves,why does it matter

shepsec
Feb 06, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'd ask Dom if I were you he is the boxer but as far as i know from SAQ training - speed, agility, quickness - if you add weight to an exercise and train like that then removing the weight will make you faster and stronger for example i do advanced push ups with a weighted vest - the other evening i took it off and was as fast and strong as hell

Laza MMA
Feb 06, 2009, 11:42 AM
thats exactly what i think, punching with small weights would make me faster,but some people say that that makes you slower which makes no sense, but i dont know

OneTruth13
Feb 06, 2009, 11:53 AM
I was an avid boxer for quite a while growing up. When i got real serious about it i started to train 2x a day (530-730 am, and 530-830 pm) I did a lot of shadow boxing with 1, 2, and 3lb weights in my hands. The added weight will do a number of things (1) it will increase your endurance when you are throwing punch (2) it will make you lear to keep your hands up and make it easier to hold your hands up even when you arms are getting tired (3) It will speed op your punches when you dont have added weight on them (much like a weighted baseball bat, weighted puulups or pushups)---However!!! If you are not throwing your punches with proper form, praciticing form and speed, then it may not work as well. You are going to want to snap your punches like you are sparring while you shadow box and not just go slow but instead go hard, go fast, do it often and you will get faster...

Hayden6-6
Feb 06, 2009, 02:45 PM
I am a Muay thai practitioner, I have had several arguments about this topic! In MY opinion shadow boxing with weights is a damn good idea! not only do you train twitch fibers in the extensers, but you also train them in the flexers!! so there is added speed and power in the punch itsself (pec. tricep delt.) ... and there is added strength and speed in the muscles that retrive the punch as well,(lats traps and bicep)
I have been shadow boxing with (5lb.) wrist weights for a while now, and when it comes down to sparring I can really see a big difference!!!
someone said that it trains you to slow down at the end of the punch itsself, but someone who actually knows, would know that you aren't supposed to FULLY extend your arm in a punch anyway!!!:mad:
ppl watch too much damn tv and THINK they know about fighting/training!!!
it has been a part of my life for 15 years, and someone waching MMA on tv, thinking they know a single thing about it, Just Piss me off to no end!!!

stevenl
Feb 06, 2009, 03:19 PM
i dont know, small mma gloves,why does it matter

Well, it doesn't make much sense to me to hold weights while you punch. I've never understood people's reasoning behind that. Just wear your gloves. It's all about speed.

Journeyman
Feb 06, 2009, 07:08 PM
It will not make you faster, that is a myth. BUT it might increase shoulder endurance. For speed and power, just hit pads, or a bag, or use stretch bands. Or just shadowbox.

Haven't you asked this question like 5 times before?

Feb 06, 2009, 08:20 PM
listen, if i hold about 700g - 1 kg in my each hand and i do shadow boxing like that,will that speed my hands up or slow them down
maybe this will help
according to ross enamait, speed strength is the ability to quickly execute an unloaded movement or a movement against a small external resistance
explosive strength is the ability to express significant tension in minimal time. So wearing just ur gloves will create more speed strength but if u hold 1kg in each hand then u will obviously not increase speed but u will gain more explosive strength to make ur punches more effective. but u will not be able to get the same amount of punches out in the same time span. So if u are already quick then work on explosive strength and visa versa. the more explosive strength u have, the more speed strength u could potentially have :mrgreen:

Cheeze_Baron
Feb 06, 2009, 10:40 PM
Instead of punching with weights, throw em' shot put style, works the whole chain of muscles responsible for punches. The thing w/ weighted punching is its not good on the joints as they hyperextend w/ the momentum of the weights, because of this you train the bad habit of pulling your punches to prevent this, not sure if this matters at such a small weight though. Adding weight to movements doesn't mean they'll make unweighted movements faster, runners get faster at running by running, not doing weighted running.

Caliph
Feb 10, 2009, 11:37 PM
But if you ran with a weighted vest you could get faster more quickly I would think. Sprinting with weight would probably burn your muscles real good haha

stevenl
Feb 11, 2009, 12:13 AM
Punching with the weights is pointless. I have never heard a good fighter say that he does it or thinks that it helps. Weighting down athletic movements only screws up the technique, which is vital when trying to throw a powerful punch. You'd be better off sparring and hitting the heavy bag and doing pushups. If you want to build up endurance in your shoulders, try this:

with a pair of 5 lb. dumbbells:
front raises - 30 seconds as fast as you can
alternating military press - 30 seconds
lateral raises - 30 sec.
bent over lateral raises - 30 sec.
military press - 30 sec.
hold dumbbells out in front of you - 30 sec.

this is very rough and I learned it from a boxer at a gym I used to train at. I eventually got to doing it with 8 lb. dumbbells and then abandoned it, but it really works for building strength endurance. you'd never think military pressing 5 lb. dumbbells was hard until you're forced to push press them just to get them over your head.

try it and let me know what you think.

Cheeze_Baron
Feb 11, 2009, 01:01 AM
If you were to do anything weighted than ya having it on the torso ala weight vest is numerous times better than attached to the limb i.e. ankle and wrist weights. Plus doing something with resistance increases quickness not speed, so in terms of time, your punch is the same but you initiate it much quicker even though the whole movement still takes up the same amount of time. That strength endurance dumbell drill must be murder on the shoulder for the rest of the day, would that be done before or after a heavy bag session?