PDA

View Full Version : The funniest/ most ironic injury..

whmaine
Jan 06, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think it'd be great to hear stories of the funniest and/or most ironic injury you've either received or caused via combat. It has to be an actual injury, not just a surprise knee into someone's gut when he startled you exactly the way you told him not to the day before. (*Cough, cough.*)

Here's mine:
When I was in High School I did 36 hours/wk of Tae Kwon Do. One of the adult students (40's or 50's, rotund, not good at getting his feet very high for a kick...) was sparring with me. We sparred on Wednesdays, so I guess it was a Wednesday! Anyway, we fought under WTF rules. Fairly early in the sparring, I threw a kick, which he caught and held, and pulled me over. This was against the rules. His next kick, I caught it for a moment. He himself fell, and broke his tailbone. 3 months later, when he was able to spar again, he didn't try catching my leg anymore.

See! Irony! He caught my kick, I caught his, he got hurt.

Let's hear 'em, folks! What've you done or had done to you?

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 12:48 PM
Haha. Follow the rules or you get hurt.

I was a freestyle karate yellow or and orange belt and I sparred with one of the instructors, a black belt who was a bit older than me in her teens. I had crazy long reach and was moderately fast so I guess she felt the need to step it up a notch. At one point I threw a side kick that was almost perfectly aimed for her head...well she ducked under and threw a side kick of her own and I got it right in the family jewels. That ended the match, by the way.

Fatman
Jan 06, 2009, 01:08 PM
I got the old foot in the groin many times in judo. Every single time it was me trying to be cooperative and letting people new to certain throwing techniques learn the movement pattern.

Not exactly MA, but playing rugby I got elbowed in the face (almost a broken nose) by my own team-mate who was flailing around in a ruck. Another guy stepped on my calf and the cleats (is that the name for the little studs on the sole?) of his boots almost went through the flesh. Again, a member of my own team. I have never received a serious bruise from an opponent, despite playing contact sports for some years. It was either a team-mate who didn't know what he was doing (or did it on purpose :)), or an over-zealous newbie trying really hard to do things right.

whmaine
Jan 06, 2009, 01:40 PM
Haha. Follow the rules or you get hurt.

...well she ducked under and threw a side kick of her own and I got it right in the family jewels. That ended the match, by the way.

Ow, ow, ow, ow... Yeah. I always refused to wear a cup sparring because it messes w/ easy mobility/ROM. Took a couple bad shots that way!

I got the old foot in the groin many times in judo. Every single time it was me trying to be cooperative and letting people new to certain throwing techniques learn the movement pattern.

Not exactly MA, but playing rugby I got elbowed in the face (almost a broken nose) by my own team-mate who was flailing around in a ruck. Another guy stepped on my calf and the cleats (is that the name for the little studs on the sole?) of his boots almost went through the flesh. Again, a member of my own team. I have never received a serious bruise from an opponent, despite playing contact sports for some years. It was either a team-mate who didn't know what he was doing (or did it on purpose :)), or an over-zealous newbie trying really hard to do things right.

I definitely have been run over with cleats. Punk broke my hand with his illegal little metal studs, too.

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 01:44 PM
Not exactly MA, but playing rugby...

Rugby not a MA? Says who?

1. Ow, ow, ow, ow... Yeah. I always refused to wear a cup sparring because it messes w/ easy mobility/ROM. Took a couple bad shots that way!

2. I definitely have been run over with cleats. Punk broke my hand with his illegal little metal studs, too.

1. Ironically, I was weraing a cup and it must not have been positioned properly, which only added to the pain.

2. Brutal!

OneTruth13
Jan 06, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sparring with my boxing coach- I was 196 an Amature Cruiser Weight he was about 175ish and was a Semi-Pro boxer. I threw a right hook, he slipped it and stepped in to throw a left hook to my body. As my right arm was coming back from the hook he stood up and POP! my shoulder came out of the socket...Ouch

I was coaching some newbies on the correct form to throw a jab. A newer guy that had been around for a month or so was really bad at throwing punches (he was 5'11 about 225 and all freaking muscle, couldn't jump rope, could really move well, bodybuilder type with no ability to punch). To make a point i let him "jab" me in the face/the head a few times to show that his muscle technique did not work. He told me to then hit him and show him what a jab was supposed to be like. First I demonstrated on the pads while he held them, but he was totally convinced he was hitting harder (he was more pushing then punching). He then DEMANDED that I throw a jab at him, hesitant to do it because he did not have head gear on, I did it any way and i knocked him out with a friggin jab!!!!

whmaine
Jan 06, 2009, 04:42 PM
now that's what I'm talkin' about. Dislocated joints and musclebound piles of dude on the floor.

USMC machine
Jan 13, 2009, 04:51 PM
I was coaching some newbies on the correct form to throw a jab. A newer guy that had been around for a month or so was really bad at throwing punches (he was 5'11 about 225 and all freaking muscle, couldn't jump rope, could really move well, bodybuilder type with no ability to punch). To make a point i let him "jab" me in the face/the head a few times to show that his muscle technique did not work. He told me to then hit him and show him what a jab was supposed to be like. First I demonstrated on the pads while he held them, but he was totally convinced he was hitting harder (he was more pushing then punching). He then DEMANDED that I throw a jab at him, hesitant to do it because he did not have head gear on,
I did it any way and i knocked him out with a friggin jab!!!!

HAHA! :mrgreen:

stevenl
Jan 13, 2009, 05:03 PM
Got my face stomped by a college wrestling team(literally, like a baker's dozen guys) once outside a buddy's house. Not very funny, but it's the only time I've been hurt fighting.

whmaine
Jan 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
You're right, not funny. Sobering.

Dominator350
Jan 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
thats when you find out where they are now... an you kill those pig skinned motherfuckers!

olinek
Jan 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
I was a freestyle karate yellow or and orange belt and I sparred with one of the instructors, a black belt who was a bit older than me in her teens.

Freestyle karate in peterborough???? The one that is now (or atleast was when I left) on brookdale plaza I think (on chemong st)?????

Dave.cyco
Jan 13, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oh no. You know about them.:roll:

I've trained there, yes. And also, in chronological order:

Moo Gong Kwan Hap Ki Do, World Championship Karate (Kickboxing), in my back yard with a very knowledgeable friend, an informal group of Jiu Jutsu practitioners and X-Treme Kickboxing and MMA.

And of course shadow boxing ummm... GTG!

olinek
Jan 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
When was it that you were training there.... That was my karate school lol.

Small world Dave.

Bissen
Jan 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Two days after my trainer told me and my team: "Injuries are our worst enemies", I tried to climb some stairs hanging in my arms (like a monkey bar climb), and the first time I did it, it was funny and good. I just wanted to try it from the very top step, and of course I fall down and break my wrist T__T

Just this monday, now three days ago, my trainer once again told all of us, that injuries are our worst enemies... What happens two days later? -I sprain my foot! Gah...!

OneTruth13
Jan 15, 2009, 11:19 AM
Two days after my trainer told me and my team: "Injuries are our worst enemies", I tried to climb some stairs hanging in my arms (like a monkey bar climb), and the first time I did it, it was funny and good. I just wanted to try it from the very top step, and of course I fall down and break my wrist T__T

Just this monday, now three days ago, my trainer once again told all of us, that injuries are our worst enemies... What happens two days later? -I sprain my foot! Gah...!

You trainer obviously does not know the power of the words used. Speak injury, whether you speak avoidance or not and they will happen. Speak health and low and behold thats what you get.

mackamitsu
Jan 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
Freestyle sparring after a defendo class, I over extended on a punch and was pulled off balance and fell onto my face breaking my nose.

Defending myself from a pair of punks in TO I stomped one guys foot so hard I heard a crunch and buddy passed out. His cohort did a quick runner after that. It happened so fast I think it was over in less then 5 seconds, and the people around us were more concerned about buddy passing out. :roll:

shepsec
Jan 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
now rugby that's a real sport - check out Munster's progress in the Heineken Cup - Munster rock man !

David43515
Jan 29, 2009, 11:52 PM
I was practicing a two-man form once (double broadswords vs spear) and had a "friend" split my kneecap with the spear. It was blunt, but it was basically like getting wacked with the tip of a shovel.

roberto_canneo
Feb 04, 2009, 05:21 PM
a guy i knew tried to hit me with a gear bag and it swung around and broke his nose :L:L