PDA

View Full Version : Heavy bag with interval training

athletic_over_mass
Jan 06, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi im new here and i was wondering in the winter the only really cardio i can put up with is hitting my heavy bag i currently do 5x 5min rounds with 1min rest. I also want to try and incorporate interval training with my heavy bag seeing as how my main purpose at this moment is reducing my body fat %.

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 12:37 AM
Do Tabata punch outs.

The Turtle
Jan 06, 2009, 01:06 AM
I agree with Dave... tabata heavy bag drills are brutal :twisted:

athletic_over_mass
Jan 06, 2009, 01:10 AM
cool ill try that thanks, but when i do tabata style i do still try to maintain form and technique right. sorry if this is a dumb question but, ive only done tabatas with push ups, planks, and squats. thanks again for the reply

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 01:20 AM
Burning fat? Throw technique out the window and as many punches as hard as you can each interval. Work on technique another time.

Well try to use technique, but don't obsess over it. Intensity is key here.

athletic_over_mass
Jan 06, 2009, 01:24 AM
you make a very valid point sir thank you! You just made my days a lot more fun and interesting tabatas in the morning technique at night. oh am i excited:D

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 02:08 PM
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::mrgreen:

Raja
Jan 08, 2009, 01:45 AM
Anyone know a good timer for tabata punchouts? I tried it with the gymboss but with the intensity of the bag sounds I could hardly hear the alarm on it.

Dave.cyco
Jan 08, 2009, 03:14 AM
This is what I use at home.
h**p://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Cheeze_Baron
Jan 08, 2009, 03:43 AM
I thought the Gymboss had vibrate as an alarm feature also?

The Turtle
Jan 08, 2009, 08:42 AM
I use the GymBoss as well and have found it quite hard to use for any sort of interval training (ESPECIALLY tabata heavy bag). It does have chime and vibrate features, but neither are very prominent once you consider rapid movement and/or workout music. We you are really moving as in throwing punches or doing burpees it is hard to feel the vibration (no Marky Mark pun intended :wink:) and if you listen to music when working out (who doesn't?) you have to turn it way down to hear the chime. The compromises: turn down the music or take a little focus off training to worry about feeling the vibration. I have elected to turn down my music :mad:

Dave.cyco
Jan 08, 2009, 05:19 PM
...and if you listen to music when working out (who doesn't?)

Me. Usually. I can't stand most music these days. Also, I like to dictate my own pace, and in the past when I have used music, I found that I had a tendency to follow the pace of the music rather than set my own intensity rhythm.

gilstrap
Jan 09, 2009, 10:03 AM
Me. Usually. I can't stand most music these days. Also, I like to dictate my own pace, and in the past when I have used music, I found that I had a tendency to follow the pace of the music rather than set my own intensity rhythm.

gee...dave theres no where for you to go ,intense workout, hardcore diet and now no music youl be bare foot in the snow next

OneTruth13
Jan 09, 2009, 02:05 PM
gee...dave theres no where for you to go ,intense workout, hardcore diet and now no music youl be bare foot in the snow next

As if your saying he's not already!!!:D

whmaine
Jan 09, 2009, 03:13 PM
The time it snowed a few weeks ago and I had to dig out, while it was still snowing my neighbor asked me to move my car farther up the drive. So I walked out barefoot, and we put his girlfriend in the driver's seat to gas it while he and I pushed. No good, so they had to park somewhere else (parking ban on using the normal street spaces). But yeah, I've tried pushing the car uphill through snow while barefoot.

Swarren7630
Jan 09, 2009, 06:50 PM
How heavy is your heavy bag ? (50,60,70,90lbs). As for the part above about dont worry about form is BS to me . I do belive if you hit anything wrong you could brake your fingers or wrist. So am guessing you no how to fit,but before you go ball out on the bag . I would use form over force. Thats just me . Oh i asked about the weight of you bag because you could do a sand bag training style with you heavy bag. Nothing like squatting or jogging with a heavy bag on your shoulder . You could giv it a good old bear hug and walk around the block or run staires with it. See how that gets your HR up.

Swarren7630
Jan 09, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oh you could do hiit training to music . If you us an ipod like most the world. Put it on one song at punch the whole song . When the next on come on do jump rope or another cardio exercise and the repeat untill all song or a set few are done.

The Turtle
Jan 09, 2009, 07:02 PM
I hope the songs are pretty short...

Swarren7630
Jan 09, 2009, 07:43 PM
Most song are around 3min,but there are a few that go in to the 7-8mins. I do belive G&R and Ozzy both have a song in the 7mins. It would be great cause if will be different evertime also you would get a great burn punching or anything for all out for 7-8mins. I knw i would ,but then again am a little soft around the middle.

The Turtle
Jan 09, 2009, 08:55 PM
I just meant that, unless you are an absolute animal, doing one HIIT round to a complete song would be nearly impossible. I know I certainly could not give an all-out effort for a complete song, then active rest for the next song, then all-out for another complete song...

It sounds like you are more than likely suggesting just plain interval training to music. A constant, but not all-out, effort to each song. Sounds like that could be an interesting way to mix it up.

Swarren7630
Jan 09, 2009, 09:10 PM
Turtle thats mainly how I do my cardio. I have a few playlist one for 30min 6 songs and one for 45min 10songs . I pick one at first song come on its 3-7min at 5.0 next the its 4.0 with an 1.0incline. It great way to change it up and burn some fat. I mean you could do bw push or squat , hell anything. Think about doing a hold a handstand or doing push ups for 3-7min straight.

Raja
Jan 10, 2009, 01:36 AM
This is what I use at home.
h**p://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Sweeeeeet. Not only will I be one of the few people that use the heavy bag room in the gym, I'll be the only one to bring my laptop there :p

Cheeze_Baron
Jan 10, 2009, 02:28 AM
If you look around on that site there's tabata mp3's to download. But if you still want to bring your laptop, nobodies stopping ya.

Raja
Jan 10, 2009, 04:20 AM
Forgot to mention that I'm probably the only one in the gym that doesn't own an MP3 player 8-)

whmaine
Jan 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
If we were at the same gym, there'd be two of us. Any my gym doesn't have a heavy bag. Or anything like one.

Raja
Jan 10, 2009, 07:36 PM
I used to train at a gym that didn't have one, made me want to hit things even more lol. Best is to buy a used bag and hang it up on a tree.

OneTruth13
Jan 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
A good way to do Heavy Bag interval trianing would be: Stadning next to your bag, get in the squat position, push the bag up and stand right where your bag wants to hang, using a 1-2-1-2-1-2 combo for 30 reps (1-2 = 1 rep) keep the bag from falling back down into its hanging place. Take a step back throw 20 jabs, good form, expolsive and controlled, not for speed of reps( count to 2 between each jab) Then step back in and do the 1-2 combo for 30 reps, and then back into the stading jab. I hope this helps.

Doing it this way you will not need a timer and can do as many consecutive sets as possible going from the sqauting 1-2s keeping the bag up to the standing explosive jab session.