PDA

View Full Version : speed for sparring

gingersi
Dec 14, 2008, 06:39 PM
ok guys, sparring against a friend of mine- he's 21 and 13.5 stone, i am 33 and 11.5 stone- same height

we both have trained TKD/kickboxing to 2nd Dan

tonight we went for it in sparring- he got the better of me with speed and endurance- technique pretty similar (he's a bit more flexible)

any ideas in terms of

1. exercises to improve speed
2. good combos

thanks

Simon

Dave.cyco
Dec 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Exercises to develop speed and explosiveness:

Swinging a light (6-10 pound) sledgehammer into a tire for repetitions.
Power overs
Double unders
Burpees
Punch outs
Double or triple clap pushups

At your level, why are you asking us for combos?? You should have TONS of them ingrained in you by now.

gingersi
Dec 15, 2008, 04:34 AM
tons of combos but if you look at how many ACTUALLY work in combat......

always on the lookout for more tips and tactics

never stop learning.......

Dianu
Dec 16, 2008, 05:46 PM
In Kickboxing (from my limited knowledge on the subject) and indeed many other Arts, it's all about the set-up.

Take the classic 1-2 from boxing. You punch high, then low and when the opponent's guard drops you take advantage by striking high with a quick right hook/upper-cut.
At your level, martial arts can become more about your tactical skill, rather than the number of different combos you have. Any combo will probably work given the right set-up.

My best advice then, is to work on having a solid plan before you move in to attack range. Don't just move in, throw some kicks, move out, move in, block, throw some punches, move out etc. etc. and hope something lands. Come in with a clear plan.

"If I do this, then he'll have to do this, then I can move here and attack there"

This is not the same as learning defence A against attack B. Rather, just like a commander on the field of battle or a Chess player, you think about what you can do to force him to do something else. You manipulate him, lure him into your trap and then strike. Otherwise you're just leaving things down to attributes like endurance, speed or strength to win out.

To use the army analogy, armies of equal strength don't usually beat each other through their powerful technology and numbers (your techniques or attributes) but through their use of tactics. Even a weaker army can use tactics (such as Guerrilla Warfare) to defeat a more powerfull foe. Fighting is no different, you must use a strategy to defeat a more skilled, or equally skilled, opponent.

Apologies if you already had that figured, you're a much higher level than me in terms of your Art. Just some thoughts on higher level Martial Arts.

gingersi
Dec 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
thanks man- good advice

also we all have things to learn from each other, if people are too proud to realise this they will never amount to anything

my philosophy is to keep an open mind and be constantly looking to improve in whatever you do- once you stagnate you lose the edge.

in reality i find that 2 or 3 punch combos with a fairly basic kick do the job best, sometimes leading in with a front leg checking sidekick to the midsection a thai leg kick or a few kick combo, you can then use the kick as a range bridger to get you in for some hand work and perhaps use another kick to get you out at the end.

obviously counterattacking is a different situation where personally using either jamming the opponents kick and moving in or kicking with backkick/rev turning etc when they are starting their kick seems to work best.

i love jumping around and doing spinning kicks but anyone who tells you they work very well (apart from above two kicks and maybe tornado turning kick) are probably not fighting good enough fighters

just a few thoughts.......................................

Dianu
Dec 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
A good philosophy to have, you're right as well, adding in the kick once the opponent is busy dealing with your punches can be great for catching somebody off guard.

I'd really love to learn some decent thai kicks, as i'm currently quite limited in kicking ability (Front kick, back kick and low side kick is about it) Obviously a lot of them are just fun, but I can see an advantage in being able to reach high if the chance appears. Any thoughts?

gingersi
Dec 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
high roundhouse/side/spinning all look good but in reality are not that useful

saying that they are great fun so check out paul zaichiks elastic steel forums for exercises on flexibility and leg kicking strength

thai roundhouse to the leg is useful, i would personally use tkd roundhouse to midsection and head (ie with re-chamber after kick) so you can keep balance and follow in with more strikes

Dianu
Dec 18, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'll check it out, thanks!
From a WingChun background, obviously I'm taught that high-kicks aren't effective, but I thought it'd at least be funto learn them! :D

gingersi
Dec 18, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'll check it out, thanks!
From a WingChun background, obviously I'm taught that high-kicks aren't effective, but I thought it'd at least be funto learn them! :D

saying they are not effective is not true, just need to be used in the appropriate circumstances- just like your punching to body then head, kick to body 2-3 times then next time throw one to the head..

Dave.cyco
Dec 18, 2008, 07:20 PM
The effectiveness of high kick relies directly on the flexibility, balance, power and BODY ALIGNMENT of the kicker. I think these aspects come into play in a far more noticeable way than with lower kicks, though low kicks can still be effective even with alot less flexibility and relatively poor form. I feel tactical situations calling for low kicks are far easier to spot and more frequent than those calling for high kicks.

And then the right tactical situation has to be present; an unskilled or fatigued opponent who is already falling over. Even an unskilled fighter can do alot of damage to you when countering your high kicks.

Dianu
Dec 19, 2008, 08:16 AM
Very true, you put yourself at serious risk of counter. You need to be fast, accurate and skilled or it's not going to turn out in your favour. Especially considering there are some high-kicks that require your opponent to be still for a period of time, some opponents won't give you that.

gingersi
Dec 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
i agree- high kicks for show only unless against someone who is already beaten or the skill mismatch is massive (but that can be tricky as unskilled fighters are unpredictable)

leg kicks to wear opponents down or bring guard down whilst you close and use punches

midkicks- side/roundhouse/back- again to close distance and bring guard down whilst you pound their head with your fists!!!!

onelasttime
Dec 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
Isometrics for the speed and another form of anerobic endurance training from sledge hammers to kettlebells to sandbag training etc.... If you use true Tabata protocal you can get the fuel tank you want in no time.

gingersi
Dec 30, 2008, 06:53 AM
Isometrics for the speed and another form of anerobic endurance training from sledge hammers to kettlebells to sandbag training etc.... If you use true Tabata protocal you can get the fuel tank you want in no time.

Tabata protocol?

Dave.cyco
Dec 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
Exercise (squats, pushups, kicking, shadow boxing, heavybag etc.) for 20 sec, rest for 10 sec x 8 = 1 Tabata session.

gingersi
Dec 30, 2008, 03:05 PM
Exercise (squats, pushups, kicking, shadow boxing, heavybag etc.) for 20 sec, rest for 10 sec x 8 = 1 Tabata session.

so 1 session per exercise?- done fast as possible?

Dave.cyco
Dec 30, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yessiree! :)

Kanik
Dec 30, 2008, 04:43 PM
High kicks are fine. My friend only does two kicks, leg kicks, and head kicks. The only mid kick he ever does is a front kick to the guts. And he is almost unbeatable, one of the hardest opponants for me to fight. Speaking of which... a good combo, fake kick to the legs with a round, and then switch to kick to the guts with a front. So for example, left roundhouse to the legs, and just before they react to it, jump/switch feet and front kick them, also you can do it with a roundhouse, but front kicks are less expected with this combo.

onelasttime
Dec 31, 2008, 02:10 PM
When I stoped takeing TKD around 16 and started working in Bar's and Beer Tent's in Germany I quickly learned no kicks higher then waist! Generaly I keep 90% of my kicks knee level or lower. I use knee's to work the mid section and back. This prevents haveing a limb captured and it works well in tight area's. I also use my Elbow's alot for the same reason. I always try to work to the outside if I can or the tot he rear if they will elt me! Soft target's like genitals,throat, eye's,ear's, elbow and knee joints and wrist are easy target's and often fight ender's. Just make sure you do not use leathal force unless you need to. A realtively soft blow to a person's throat will stop most idiot's from wanting to persue a fight and it is not lethal if you do not nail them hard their.

stevenl
Dec 31, 2008, 02:56 PM
Did anyone see Patrick Barry at UFC 92? If that wasn't an AWESOME display of a kickboxer's leg kicks being effective, I don't know what is.

onelasttime
Dec 31, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ever wounder why when you are pissed and stareing someone done and thinking about hitting them you are able to hit with such speed and power. Unless you where scared it was not fight or flight it was focus and intent. When you visualize an action and keep thinking about doing it your brain start's sending mini signals that match what the big signal is going to look like down the limb often you will feel a tingleing sensation right before you hit the guy. What has happened is your body was building up nerve force and sensitizeing those motor unit that it knew you wanted to use to hit him with. When the impulse was finaly too much for you it seems like an explosion takeing place and the speed adn force is off the chart. You can do the same thing by closeingyour eye's and repetively focus on strikeing an object with great speed. When you are ready take a deep breath and try to move as explosively as possable. In time this type of training will actualy train the nervious sytem to do this on demand especialy with a movement that it is well practiced. The nerve force will be insane and instant! It does take some time. Strength training builds nerve force endurance trainign kills nerve force. Anerobic threshold training is not much of a factor either way. It is hard to build nerve force while building endurance but not entirely impossable.

Heavy squats and deadlifts build insane nerve forc as long as the volume is low and the weight is heavy!

REMsimpson
Jan 05, 2009, 11:13 AM
Use the high kicking tendency of TKD against him. When he throws up a leg, move into it/stuff it and throw uppercuts to the chin or groin. This is frustrating as hell for high-kickers to deal with; they're completely exposed, off balance and uppercuts are a bitch for people who don't usually use them or defend against them. High kickers (at least that I've worked with) tend to retreat from kicks, so you'll have to be sure you can move into the attack (instead of retreating) to get in position for the fun.

Dave.cyco
Jan 05, 2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2it_dV8Mg&feature=related

REMsimpson
Jan 05, 2009, 01:35 PM
Excellent video- everything he says is spot on. Good stuff, thanks for posting it.

Dave.cyco
Jan 05, 2009, 02:49 PM
He's got some cool stuff. I particularly like his video tutorial on the shovel hook. That's how I first saw him.

CDavidNeely
Jan 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
Greetings,

Most people concentrate on getting the strike out but forget about the return. One of the best exercises I found for building speed focuses on return speed of the attack. For example, put your punch in its extended position and rest it there. When your relaxed pull your technique back to chamber focusing on technique and speed. The return of the attack doesn't need power because your not trying to attack yourself and relaxing beforehand lets you concentrate on return speed.

David.

onelasttime
Jan 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
Sure his Kick Boing Style kick's worked just fine! In the ring! Try that is a bar or dance club that is packed with people some time! The rules of a fight determine what weapons are effective and how to use them. Their are no rules in war or in a street fight Queens Berry(sp) Rules are fine for the ring but will get you killed on the street. In fact usualy the more self deffense moves you have learned in class the more useless you are in a fast paced street fight especialy if their are multiple attackers that learned to fight on the street! So takeing MA or MMA as a form of self deffense for serious street encounter is usualy not a good move. Limited number of moves say 12 total and make them as natural and thoughtless as possable. Movements already common to human movement that everyone already know's. Teach to be the aggresser as the more aggresive person usualy lives while the passive counter puncher in a street fight normaly ends up dead or badly injuried

I once taught a fellow wrestler how to win a street fight in 15 minutes. I took what he knew which was wrestleing in fact he was one of the best H.S. wrestler's I have ever known and went to a smaller University on a scholarship. I changed how he used the tools he already had. He not only won the first and only street fight that he had ever been in "it was classic girls honor thing" but he hemilated a much more experinced street fighter. He came to me and my best friend a few hours before the fight. He taught me to wrestle as a Freshman in H.S. and he knew that me and my best friend got into three fights a week off school grounds so he figured if anyone would have some good advice it would be us. Even though the kid he was going against was bigger, stronger and had more street fighting experince my fellow wrestler had much more training time he had better accuracy,better flow, better judge of distance,better timeing and he had hard wired his brain with wrestleing moves.

The fight did not last long. THe other guy was never able to land a solid blow on my team mate and as soon as my team mate got his hands on him the fight was preety much over since the other guy had no deffense from a grapplers attack. My friend took him down mounted him and then proceeded to puch him in the face with both hands with poor form I might add until he appoligised for being disrespectful to his girlfriend and spreading lies.

Prior to that 15-30 minutes my firend or team mate had never ever thought about how to deffend himself off the matt. He had no idea that he already had all the tools he needed. It was a matter of tactics, mindset, intent and better physucal conditioning. It always helps to be in better shpe then your opponet but if your skill level is high enough you can often get around conditioning you see older fighters that shouldhave retired years ago keep winning due to experince.

In my opinion the bigest problem most MA and MMA people have is bad judement of distance and bad timeing. They have not learned to control their opponet and force them to fight their fight or how to even get their opponet off rythm. You do not see this with boxing as much because more time is spent inthe ring sparring and learning these drills. Learning to have a calm and still mind in the midst of kaos is also hard for many people to do. Until they learn to do that they are primarily reacting to stimuli instead of actualy being able to think of things like stratagey game plan how to get the other guy off ballance or rythm etc.......It is try of all things from driveng a car to fighting in a ring.

silentassassin
Jan 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
I love when fights end like that (only the smaller ones). When I used to do MAs, leg kicks were one of my favorite moves.

OneTruth13
Jan 14, 2009, 10:18 AM
I like when someone that does not want to fight, like a smaller guy, and is being bullied by some big dude that wants to fight. The the small guy starts to feel more threatened to the point where if he does not do something he will get hurt so he walks up the big dude, drills him in the nose, grabs his legs, takes him down, beats him for a little while to make a point, then gets up and sits back down with his buddies and keep on having a good night. I was a bouncer for 2 years and i saw this more than once ( i always kicked out the bigger guy after he got smoked, as he was the instigator)