PDA

View Full Version : does shadow boxing improve hand speed

Laza MMA
Oct 12, 2008, 09:19 AM
when im shadow boxing at full speed and power will that increase my hand speed

exmootie
Oct 12, 2008, 09:27 AM
I don't really think so. I believe it is more for technique and endurance. Throwing punches with some kind of resistance(bands, or weights) should help you achieve greater handspeed.

TheMasterKey
Oct 12, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think it will, if you practice throwing as fast as you can possibly currently throw, over time you should get used to throwing at this level and then be able to go to an even higher level.

Laza MMA
Oct 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
i think so too:D

exmootie
Oct 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
IMHO to develop hand speed in this way will take a long time. To gain greater speed you need to develop all of the muscles used to deliver a punch. This takes resistance and as a punch is delivered from the ground up through the body ending with the arm the whole body needs to be worked on. As an example, when I was practicing karate we used to have someone hold on to your obi(belt) while moving forwards, backwards, and side to side. This resistance while training enabled greater speed when moving without resistance while sparring.

Erik
Oct 12, 2008, 10:38 AM
I would not recommend throwing punches at full force and speed while shadow boxing. You can damage your joints.

Use shadow boxing to warm up and practice technique. Go full out on a punching bag. Gives you some resistance to work against and great for building power, speed, stamina, etc.

Journeyman
Oct 12, 2008, 10:50 AM
Erik is right. Throwing lots of high speed snap TKD kicks for 3 years ruined my leg joints. I'm fine now though.

I need a heavy bag...Speed and power must be added to my training along with everything else.

EvilOne
Oct 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
I would not recommend throwing punches at full force and speed while shadow boxing. You can damage your joints.

Use shadow boxing to warm up and practice technique. Go full out on a punching bag. Gives you some resistance to work against and great for building power, speed, stamina, etc.
It will increase or speed up the time it takes for you to get injrued. Kinda like shooting a bow without an arrow.

TheMasterKey
Oct 12, 2008, 04:36 PM
I would take the advice of EvilOne + Erik, I am by no means an expert and was just giving my opinion. I was answering more from the point of if you do something enough you get better at it, but EvilOne makes a good point with his analogy. :-)

I would ask your trainer for the best way to increase hand speed.

marksmarkou
Oct 21, 2008, 08:35 AM
Shadow boxing is a great way to improve hand speed. Also, shadow boxing whilst holding weights will work magic for hand speed. The only problem is, when doing to much shadow boxing as fast as you can, its very easy to get sloppy and develop bad habits. Use a mirror and gauge your progress and watch for any bad habits.

Laza MMA
Oct 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
thanks man

EagleScout316
Oct 24, 2008, 09:31 AM
The slight problem with weights is, even if they are two pounders, is that they take away your focus on where your concentration is, so you end up punching a little off center each time. And definitely don't use weights with full speed and power, because then you will really mess up your joints.

When it comes to shadow boxing, and wondering about hand speed, think about moving almost at a tai chi-style pace. No one person is faster than another person, except maybe for reactionary speed and reflexes. When I've thrown 10,000 fists in a jab motion, my jab has not become faster, it's only gotten smoother; the connections from my brain sending a signal to my fist to launch itself forward, and that same signal being returned to my brain that it understands said signal, is the signal itself getting better at traveling through the body, freeing up more and more blockages and understanding more and more how to get from Point A to Point B in a straight line. A Line is a Circle, and a Circle is Line. When I was practicing with a Grandmaster in Wushu out in China, we all asked him about Tai Chi's effectiveness, since all they do is move so slow. Wrong move. Not just talking about the energy these guys propel, but the force and smoothness of their bodies are so damn quick that when they move against you and actually hit you, you're lying on the ground, wondering what happened and how you got there. The Master said, by moving slow and getting his body to understand the movement (probably ended up doing it way more than 10,000 times...maybe in the billions), his body can move from Point A to Point B to Point C, because everything becomes systematic, and routine and as simple as blinking. The force and power will come after, but the understanding comes during the movement.
Peace,
-ES

crazydan
Nov 02, 2008, 02:03 PM
ofcourse it will. but what it will rly rly improve is ur technique which in turn will drastically increase ur hand speed

Dominator350
Nov 02, 2008, 05:00 PM
i just started shadow boxing, yeah its something i never thought id see myself doing. But i gotta say i do not use this exercise to work on my punches, its to practice technique, and mostly its a core exercise, at least for me all i practice is dodging punches fullspeed. trying to build some explosive power in my core. so...

stance, technique, and teaching your body to become familiar with dodging punches and strikes. Mobility is key.

Cheeze_Baron
Nov 02, 2008, 06:04 PM
There was a video on youtube that showed a interesting hand speed drill but has since been taken down. It involved getting a hold of those rubber super bounce balls(from the 25 cents machine) going up to a wall and quickly paddling the ball between your hands and the wall, the distance between your hand and the wall would probably be the width of your palm. If you don't mind being goofy looking you could also do cup stacking(yes I'm serious!) those people who do these are crazy fast at stacking. You could also do clapping push-ups and overcoming isometric punches(resistance via rope or against a wall)- Ross Enamait talks about isometric for explosive strength in his Infinite Intensity book. Also the speed bag is very useful, I mean c'mon the word 'speed' is even in its name. As for shadow boxing, technique should come first before speed or power.

Kanik
Nov 06, 2008, 07:34 PM
Well, some people say you need to add resistance to gain speed, I say that that is probably possible, but not too easy, and at times, if the resistance is too much, it can actually make you slower (assuming you dont do anything else BUT the resistance). I mean it makes sence, but isnt the best way, at least not for me or anyone I've known. And as for the speed of the punch not becoming faster, or whatever... somthing about reaction time... Tell that to punching 5-6 times in a second. Seriously, give it a go, then tell me you cant increase hand speed. Shadow boxing DOES increase your speed if you do it correctly, the onyl real way to make your hands move faster is to use your entire body. Technique is the most important thing for speed. Though, I am renowned among my friends and peers as having very very fast hands, and I give credit to my punching bag, and shadow boxing. Though remember, while shadow boxing, down extend your amrs completely, make sure you have softness in your joints, or you will create damage as previously mentioned. Also stay relaxed, as relaxation plays a huge part in speed. Oh, and plyometrics help too ^_^

Ashiro
Nov 08, 2008, 09:15 PM
Resistance bands and throwing medicine balls.

Kanik
Nov 09, 2008, 06:06 PM
Resistance bands and throwing medicine balls.

Yeah, that'd help, but mainly with power.

Dave.cyco
Nov 09, 2008, 07:03 PM
Do what Ashiro said. The bands will help with speed as well. Don't use weights though. I was involved in a thread about that a while back, and I believe weights will only ruin your punching form in the long run. Common sense.

EvilOne
Nov 09, 2008, 07:28 PM
I Say Eys To The Original Question

Jonny...
Nov 19, 2008, 05:00 PM
I lie between Erik's and marksmarkou's views!! You shouldn't be shadow boxing at full belt. It is better to be done slow and in front of a mirror in order to work on form and technique then fast and sloppy. Even the best practice slow and in front of mirrors. For speed I use very light weights (from 2kg up to 5kg ish) and then stand square and punch out, careful not to over straighten or extend my arms!! I hope this is helpful!!

Salty24
Nov 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
Like the others have said shadow boxing is great for technique, with improved technique and muscle memory comes greater speed of the movement.

Training hand speed is not unlike training for sprinting, it's just with your arms rather than your legs. Isometrics can very very helpful in the development, when combined with plyometric exercises such as clap pushups, it can improve your power of the punch also. I would be hesitant to shadow box with light hand weights, I know I have done it, but I found it gave me bad habits. Firstly because your arms are tense, the key to speed is being relaxed which allows the muscles to contract much quicker.

Another thing to look into is overspeed, sprinters do this by tieing two sprinters together with a bungy cord, one sprints ahead until there is tension in the cord, the second then starts sprinting with the tension making him run faster. The same can be applied to punches, simply get some elastic rope and use it to drag your punches out. Don't have too greater tension though, as it could damage your elbow joints.

There's also looking into different areas, such as drummers patterns to improve their drumming, kind of like overspeed for your brain. Try this on the heavy bag and see how fast you can punch out this pattern.

1-2-1-1-2-1-2-2 repeat, 1= jab 2= straight.

Everyone has there theories on the subject mate, some people even try and say it can't be improved, but that is rediculous. Try everything and find something that will work for you. Hope this helps.

Dave.cyco
Nov 21, 2008, 12:03 PM
I agree with everything you said Salty24.

USMC machine
Nov 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
Manny Pacquiao shadowboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPDeMXiJHc&

OneTruth13
Nov 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Manny Pacquiao shadowboxing.

Scary fast...

Dave.cyco
Nov 21, 2008, 08:11 PM
This is how you get fast. Resistance bands. Forget weights. Get fast like Manny with this. Fast and strong and powerful and enduring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gwnGD3e7U&eurl=http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10501

Journeyman
Nov 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
That's a cool harness...I sometimes shadowbox with my expander set looped under my arms. I've gotten a little faster, but it just feels very weird. Wish I had a heavybag.

Dave.cyco
Nov 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
...I sometimes shadowbox with my expander set looped under my arms.

Mee too. I have gotten alot faster (I'm still not ever going to be pro fast, though, I don't train for it). A heavybag would be nice.

Journeyman
Nov 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mee too. I have gotten alot faster (I'm still not ever going to be pro fast, though, I don't train for it). A heavybag would be nice.

With training for strikes, nothing replaces actually having something you can hit hard without damaging it or yourself.

Salty24
Nov 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think his footwork and balance is what separates the good from the great. Manny definitely has excellent balance, his head just looks so stable.

Dave.cyco
Nov 21, 2008, 08:41 PM
I noticed the footwork over everything else. His hands follow his feet perfectly it seems. Amazing agility, no wasted movement.

Journeyman
Nov 21, 2008, 09:52 PM
I noticed the footwork over everything else. His hands follow his feet perfectly it seems. Amazing agility, no wasted movement.

Yes, with every punch he dips a bit and his knees spring and turn with him...who is that guy Manny? never heard of him. He's pretty freaky fast!

Dave.cyco
Nov 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
One of my favourite light (or was it feather)weights to play as in Fight Night Round 3 when I had it.

Journeyman
Nov 21, 2008, 11:02 PM
One of my favourite light (or was it feather)weights to play as in Fight Night Round 3 when I had it.

Ah! That explains everything! :rolleyes:

He looks like someone fun to play as....:twisted:

Salty24
Nov 21, 2008, 11:29 PM
Yes, with every punch he dips a bit and his knees spring and turn with him...who is that guy Manny? never heard of him. He's pretty freaky fast!

He's #1 p4p boxer in the world right now, his next fight is going to be a cracker against ODLH.

Raja
Nov 24, 2008, 11:48 PM
Watch Manny on a bag, FAST. I expect him to make short work of De La Hoya.

If you want to train speed at an advanced level, get a Freemotion machine. I've even trained kicks with it.

bodylifter
Mar 21, 2009, 06:31 PM
Erik is right! One of the best ways to increase your hand speed in boxing is throwing the punches slowly and repetively over and over and over again. Always make sure that your in the proper stance you pop your shoulders and twist the hips. and as time goes along slowly increase your speed, but never throw the full power, save that for the ring.