PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Routine

Dalrek
Oct 06, 2008, 06:49 PM
So I'm going to be teaching myself how to fight with a short spear (about 6 ft in length) and I figured Its time to amp up my exercising. However, I'm a bit unsure about the look of my workout, so i'm posting it here to see what people think.

Monday: Chest/Pushing Muscles day
Wide Inclinded Push-ups 2x8
Dips 2x8
Handstand Wall Push-ups 2x8 (will progress to free-handstand hopefully)

Tuesday: Back/Leg Muscles day
JumpUp 2x8 (Not sure the actual term for this, but its the exercise where you jump from ground level onto a higher platform)
Lunges 2x8
Pullups 2x5 or 1x8 (can't do 2x8 yet)
Horizontal Row 2x8

Wednesday:
Abdominal/Core Circuit Day (15 minutes, 30-60 seconds per exercise)
exercises done:
Scissors
Supermans
Crunches
Obliques-Side Crunches

Thur/Fri: Spear practice (1 hour each day), will include:
Stance/Forms.
Striking techniques
Defensive Blocks

Another Option I was thinking of was taking monday and tuesday's workout and making them also on thursday and friday, and then splitting up my 2 hours of spear practice into 30 minutes for mon/tues/thurs/fri.

This is the first time I've ever attempted to incorporate a weapon's practice into my strength training, so this is just a brainstorm. Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on the workout?

Thanks!

cheesedog
Oct 06, 2008, 11:50 PM
The workout looks good. Are you learning a spear form from a book or dvd?

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately I haven't found a good book specifically on spear fighting (let alone weapon fighting books), so when I'll be doing this it will be done through trial and error until I can find said book.

Cheeze_Baron
Oct 07, 2008, 03:20 AM
Just look up bayonet training online, there's bound to be scans from training manuals, you could use that to adapt for spear training. If I was crazy enough I'd mock up a faux/bayonet-rifle and train with that for alternative conditioning just practicing forms and throwing burpees in the mix.

HJones2
Oct 07, 2008, 09:49 AM
Look into the chinese arts.

The closest the Japanese get would be the naginata, but that is more slicing than stabbing I believe.

You could also look into the staff (bo). That, aside from an actual spear book/dvd, would be your best bet for learning and probably the easiest of the bunch to find.

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 05:57 PM
Ah ok, I'll have to check borders for that then, thanks!

As for the bayonet suggestion, I was about to head out to the store buy it when my dad pointed out he had 2 books on how to use bayonets in combat. Strangly convenient.

Journeyman
Oct 07, 2008, 06:35 PM
Ah ok, I'll have to check borders for that then, thanks!

As for the bayonet suggestion, I was about to head out to the store buy it when my dad pointed out he had 2 books on how to use bayonets in combat. Strangly convenient.

^ destiny. Have fun with the weapons training, I always thought that would be fun.

btw how old are you? (I ask everyone this it's a running gag). Cause I'm 15.

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks! And I'm 19, the age where one thinks they know everything, but just got a swift kick in the face from reality saying "no you don't!"

quirkc
Oct 07, 2008, 07:46 PM
hahaha that is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard your trying to learn to fight with a spear what the hell? when are you ever going to use spear fighting in life. You know when that robber comes to your house he might have a gun but u can kick his ass in a spear fighting competition. find something productive to do with your life, like getting a job. instead of studying how to fight with a spear. and you know why theirs no books out their for spear fighting cause no one with half a brain is gonna waste his life writing a book on spear fighting

Journeyman
Oct 07, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hey it's martial art man, emphasis on the 'art'. That's supposed to be the reason for studying MA, for fun or sport. Not so you can kick a lot of ass.

Oh and Dalrek almost everyone gets kicked here it's nothing to worry about.

Tgarber77
Oct 07, 2008, 08:00 PM
hahaha that is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard your trying to learn to fight with a spear what the hell? when are you ever going to use spear fighting in life. You know when that robber comes to your house he might have a gun but u can kick his ass in a spear fighting competition. find something productive to do with your life, like getting a job. instead of studying how to fight with a spear. and you know why theirs no books out their for spear fighting cause no one with half a brain is gonna waste his life writing a book on spear fighting

The movements to use any long stick such as bo staff or a jo staff can be easily transitioned along with the movements of a spear. Also, it is fun to know, and shows that a person wants to be a well rounded Martial Artist. :-x:cry::lol:

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 08:17 PM

Have a job, have a life, and most importantly, have a Socom 16 (M1A with a 16 inch barrel) Rifle :twisted:. Not exactly ideal in a break-in situation (compared to a shotgun), but it will get the job done.

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 08:22 PM
The movements to use any long stick such as bo staff or a jo staff can be easily transitioned along with the movements of a spear. Also, it is fun to know, and shows that a person wants to be a well rounded Martial Artist. :-x:cry::lol:
One of the many reasons why I wanted to learn it, the spear weapon itself has practically stood the test of time from pointed wooden shafts from the Mesolithic periods to introduction of the Bayonets (can't remember which war it was :( ).

Dominator350
Oct 07, 2008, 08:38 PM
i used to whip around a machete when i was done strength training, but that was just preparation for real life circumstance.

Dalrek
Oct 07, 2008, 08:59 PM
*ponders what real life circumstance the machete was used for*

:)

cheesedog
Oct 07, 2008, 09:19 PM

I think everyone here is pondering the same thing........

:twisted:

Journeyman
Oct 07, 2008, 09:41 PM

Dominator must have had some fun....at others' expense :twisted:

Dominator350
Oct 07, 2008, 09:59 PM
i lived with a drug dealer in the worst neighbourhood in my city

Journeyman
Oct 07, 2008, 10:05 PM
So what happened with the drug dealer and the machete? Bad things I imagine. Don't tell us :)

Tgarber77
Oct 08, 2008, 01:21 AM
Have a job, have a life, and most importantly, have a Socom 16 (M1A with a 16 inch barrel) Rifle :twisted:. Not exactly ideal in a break-in situation (compared to a shotgun), but it will get the job done.

It is a hell of alot better then throwing rocks thats fore sure! :x:cry::lol:

Dalrek
Oct 08, 2008, 05:50 PM
It is a hell of alot better then throwing rocks thats fore sure! :x:cry::lol:

lol true true, I also have an airsoft version as I am my team's sniper (if you're gonna pick a position to play for airsoft, pick the one where you get to wear the ghillie suit and lay/sit down for a good 1-2 hours).

wulfsun
Oct 09, 2008, 03:29 AM
What kind of spear form? Xiao du , Baguazhang , Wudang , Chen style or what? I know you must've typed in chinese spear in the youtube search bar and came up with more then a dozen forms to study from.

PS. I like the Bagua zhang form the best because of the footwork and the quick application to empty hands reminds of FMA.

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 11:33 AM
Baguazhang, for the reasons you suggest. I found links on the internet, but when it comes to stuff like this, I'm not sure what can be considered as viable sources.

speedy
Oct 09, 2008, 12:43 PM
The best resource is to work with someone that is a master of the skill. You will NEVER get great at such a thing being self taught. There are many things to consider, form, technique, hand positioning, what to do, what not to do. You will get as much out of self taught spearing than you would from a MF book.

I have been in martial arts for 15 years before I finally left. There is so much you will not know or notice on your own, that is why it's best to learn such things from someone that REALLY knows what they are doing. Not someone that took a class for a year and is teaching how to do it about a year later. Yes the last part I am talking about someone in particular but I will leave it at that.

Shark
Oct 09, 2008, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately I haven't found a good book specifically on spear fighting (let alone weapon fighting books), so when I'll be doing this it will be done through trial and error until I can find said book.

A good book with traditional weapon forms is "Shaolin Gong-fu - A Course in Traditional Forms". However, this is a five volume set that costs around $120 (my wife got it for me one Christmas).

The suggestions about learning a staff form is very good - the spear uses many of the staff techniques with some extra emphasis on the stabbing. I have a link on my home computer with some free kung fu forms (I will check for a spear form if you would like).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeb2Xi98vs&feature=related

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 01:11 PM
The best resource is to work with someone that is a master of the skill. You will NEVER get great at such a thing being self taught.

True, that is one of the downsides of self-teaching of martial arts. The problem is I don't exactly have the money to learn from a master or teacher, and the martial art schools in Washington State are EXTREMELY expensive.

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sounds like something I could pick on my christmas list, thanks! :D

nice video, and yes if you have any more with spears that would be greatly appreciated :D

speedy
Oct 09, 2008, 01:20 PM
True, that is one of the downsides of self-teaching of martial arts. The problem is I don't exactly have the money to learn from a master or teacher, and the martial art schools in Washington State are EXTREMELY expensive.

Then put your focus on something cost effective. Make challenges for yourself: plyo pull-ups, plyo one-arm pushups, just ideas to throw out there. But spear training, seriously dude think about it.

Shark
Oct 09, 2008, 01:31 PM
Sounds like something I could pick on my christmas list, thanks! :D

nice video, and yes if you have any more with spears that would be greatly appreciated :D

You might also want to invest in the plum flower spear video found on http://www.dynamicfightingarts.com/weapons.htm - at $10 (plus shipping) it's reasonably priced, and the videos are good quality (from my dealings with them anyhow). I will try and find you some staff or spear forms later today :)

wulfsun
Oct 09, 2008, 01:38 PM
If you've studied MA for any amount of time, you should be able to study the body mechanics of the form. A master is only able to show you the internal power flow and critic you on proper form and economy of motion. Sometimes being self taught and determined is the best thing until you can find a master.

Start with a very form and try to mimic the movement. Create a muscle memory of it and try to break it down and go deeper into the form. Check for seminars at the Chinese gung fu schools near you ; save your money and go to the seminars. Show them what you think you know and if they're any good they can help you and probably point you on a path.

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
Seminars are rare but i've definetly been looking for them.

speedy
Oct 09, 2008, 01:49 PM
Self taught can lead to very bad habits that you develop and if someone was watching from day one could avoid them. Perfect example: firing a gun. Many don't realize as you are pulling the trigger you are also pulling the gun in a direction other than the one you want to keep it locked on. That is considered as a bad habit.

If you've studied MA for any amount of time, you should be able to study the body mechanics of the form. A master is only able to show you the internal power flow and critic you on proper form and economy of motion. Sometimes being self taught and determined is the best thing until you can find a master.

Start with a very form and try to mimic the movement. Create a muscle memory of it and try to break it down and go deeper into the form. Check for seminars at the Chinese gung fu schools near you ; save your money and go to the seminars. Show them what you think you know and if they're any good they can help you and probably point you on a path.

wulfsun
Oct 09, 2008, 03:05 PM
A spear isn't a gun and any pole can be used as a training tool for a spear until you buy one. Example: My sifu made certain that I learned to use a staff before he taught me a sword form and then the use of a chain before learning to use a three sectional staff.

BTW, using a weighted staff or a lead pipe is a great way to strengthen and build endurance in your weapons training.

speedy
Oct 09, 2008, 03:07 PM
True, but doesn't prove anything either way. I can't see your form, technique, etc. We can go back and forth but in this case action speaks louder than words. Also, a great way to test your skill is to spar with the weapon. You really don't know how well you are doing till you are put in a situation in where you need to use it.

wulfsun
Oct 09, 2008, 03:16 PM
If I want to learn about guns I can always go to my law enforcement- military family and friends.

speedy
Oct 09, 2008, 03:17 PM
If I want to learn about guns I can always go to my law enforcement- military family and friends.

And if you want to learn how to use a pole/staff properly you can go to someone that master it. What is your point?

wulfsun
Oct 09, 2008, 03:26 PM
"When the student is ready.......

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 05:19 PM
True, but doesn't prove anything either way. I can't see your form, technique, etc. We can go back and forth but in this case action speaks louder than words. Also, a great way to test your skill is to spar with the weapon. You really don't know how well you are doing till you are put in a situation in where you need to use it.

This is true, i'll have to look for a sparring session (I know of one that is every 1st and 3rd saturday of the month somewhere in olympia), but I know someone who trained with Tae Kwon Do for 14 years (still trains i believe) and learned nunchucks and swords during his training. Would it still be sufficient enough to spar with him even though he uses a different style and weapon?

Dalrek
Oct 09, 2008, 05:24 PM
A worse habit when firing a gun is to feather the trigger. Cleaning up that mess is soooo much fun :(

quirkc
Oct 11, 2008, 09:35 PM
ok so ur scared to fight me like a man so ur gonna bring ur big bad socom 16 well if you want to play that game let me tell u a little about me im a special op i returned from afganistan 2.5 months ago and ill be going back in 4 months, and instead of sniping people on my airsoft team i have sniped real people with a real sniper rifle so and let me tell you theirs no spear fights over their with the terrorists

Dalrek
Oct 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
From your Original Thread: Motivation, May 2008

"Ok, at this site you guys seem pretty expierienced and knowledgeable. I'm pretty young, I'm only 13 and I have been working out for about 1 1/2 now,"

Nothing personally against you quirkc, but if you're going to lie have your bases covered.

Tgarber77
Oct 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
quirkc (http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/member.php?u=37480) http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Private
http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Weight Managment
"ok im 5' 3" 105 Pounds 4.8% body fat, i want to get stronger and more cut, but the problem is i'm supposed to wrestle at 103 pounds next year so basically i cant gain any weight, so strenghth gains cant come with weight gains. If you guys were in my position what would you do? Thanks I always appreciate your advice."

In the above copied and pasted post it is obvious you claimed to be a High School Wrestler. So how in the hell did you join the military and seen so much action already? I am a Verteran(Marine Corps) and it is not cool to pretend to be something you have not earned.

kcee
Oct 12, 2008, 06:14 AM
hahahahha,damn i love this thread.
i'm sure we won't be hearing from 'quirkc' for a long time