PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Martial Arts

@ssic
Sep 24, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Guys looking into starting Mixed martial arts as a way of self defence and also to keep fit, just wondering if any of you guys do this?

mcateer89
Sep 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
I do krav maga and tae kwon do. i also box for self defence and teach a handful of people street fighting for defence as well.

Dave.cyco
Sep 24, 2008, 05:15 PM
Mixed martial arts as a sport isn't ideal for self defence, however it will still give you the basics you need to defend yourself against an unskilled and unarmed attacker.

Experience and conflict avoidance are the best self defence tools in your arsenal. And enough conditioning to run away (which does NOT make you a coward).

I have practiced and enjoyed Freestyle Karate, traditional Hap Ki Do, Kickboxing under two different instructors at two different times and Jiu Jutsu (maybe I didn't relaly enjoy the Jiu Jutsu...or the Hap Ki Do).

Journeyman
Sep 24, 2008, 08:32 PM
As Dave said, not a good idea for self-defense. Also not the best way to stay fit.

However, as far as I know mma is very fun and a fast-growing sport.

Noodlesdude108
Sep 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
MMA is such a broad spectrum of styles and forms. THe KIckboxing/BJJ is just the popular combination. My advice to you would be to train with as many different styles as possible. Also condition your mind to know when to fight and when to run. Like Dave.cyco said running away is not cowardly..its the difference between staying alive and dying.

As Dave said, not a good idea for self-defense. Also not the best way to stay fit.

However, as far as I know mma is very fun and a fast-growing sport.

Why do you say its not the best way to stay fit? I started training the non combat aspect of training and almost died..its very intense and builds endurance.

@ssic
Sep 25, 2008, 04:39 AM
MMA is such a broad spectrum of styles and forms. THe KIckboxing/BJJ is just the popular combination. My advice to you would be to train with as many different styles as possible. Also condition your mind to know when to fight and when to run. Like Dave.cyco said running away is not cowardly..its the difference between staying alive and dying.

Why do you say its not the best way to stay fit? I started training the non combat aspect of training and almost died..its very intense and builds endurance.

Agreed mate i popped in last night to have a chat with staff and the one thing they mentioned over anything else was the fitness level it was super high for MMA,

To be honest in my training the one part im struggling on is the fitness i dont mind weight training but cardio and the likes really bore me so im hoping this will keep me motivated and also have a lot of fun in between

Parth
Sep 25, 2008, 10:21 AM
Martial arts is a great form of cardio. But if you want true boredom busters try the workouts from Crossfit.com.

Journeyman
Sep 25, 2008, 05:12 PM
What I'm saying is that simply rolling doing bjj and maybe hitting some boxing pads isn't by itself going to make you superfit.

It IS the non combat training that builds tremendous fitness. Most mma fighters are in tremendous shape.

Noodlesdude108
Sep 27, 2008, 11:09 AM
What I'm saying is that simply rolling doing bjj and maybe hitting some boxing pads isn't by itself going to make you superfit.

It IS the non combat training that builds tremendous fitness. Most mma fighters are in tremendous shape.

Ah i see what you mean now...thanks for clearing that up.

Raja
Sep 29, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'd disagree with the it's not good for self defence point, imo it can really help your fighting and defence skills, but that's another debate.
MMA is great training, but make sure to read through stuff like Ross's to get a good view of fitness it takes to enter fight tournaments.

Journeyman
Sep 29, 2008, 12:49 AM
edit-oops wrong quote

And another sonnon vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHxTeD7f6w

crazydan
Sep 29, 2008, 05:07 PM
i box, wrestle, and do BJJ

Tgarber77
Oct 01, 2008, 08:09 PM
MMA's are great! But there not a one stop fitness shop kind of thing! Also, you are training for sport, which has predictable rules. A real combat situation as we all know has no rules. Furthermore, avoidance of violence is the best skill you can learn, and is taught in a good fighting system.
:-x:cry::lol:

Chico
Oct 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
MMA is good for self-defense/fighting and fitness.
Some people say it's not good for self-defense, they'd rather you do something like Aiki-Budo maybe and learn wrist control and pression point, but learning how to punch,kick and use knees and elbows is in my opinion way better. You will also learn takedowns/throws, and trust me, if you throw someone on the concrete, you won't even have to do anything, he wouldn't get up very fast. You'll also learn brazilian jiu-jitsu, so you could take him down to the ground, and just control him on the ground without really hurting him, or you could just take a good position and punch him.

About the fitness part, just sparring/rolling with someone will get you in shape + fighting shape.
And most gyms supplement the training with conditioning training also. Using circuits and such.

Journeyman
Oct 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
MMA is good for self-defense/fighting and fitness.
Some people say it's not good for self-defense, they'd rather you do something like Aiki-Budo maybe and learn wrist control and pression point, but learning how to punch,kick and use knees and elbows is in my opinion way better. You will also learn takedowns/throws, and trust me, if you throw someone on the concrete, you won't even have to do anything, he wouldn't get up very fast. You'll also learn brazilian jiu-jitsu, so you could take him down to the ground, and just control him on the ground without really hurting him, or you could just take a good position and punch him.

About the fitness part, just sparring/rolling with someone will get you in shape + fighting shape.
And most gyms supplement the training with conditioning training also. Using circuits and such.

-sigh.....

go add to the junk on the 'best MA for street fighting' thread. :evil:

sorry but I feel very strongly about people being stupid about this. Stupid hotshot mma guys trying to triangle choke, slam and knee muggers.

Avoid trouble if you can. MMA is a sport. If you want to learn to protect yourself go to someone who developed a brutal style for the sole purpose of hurting assailants. Just don't abuse it. Ever.

Chico
Oct 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
To the last poster, stop being stupid.
haha you didn't think a second about what you said.
If I was to defend myself, I sure as hell won't knee the guy's face as hard as I can, please use some judgement.
I'd use as much as I need to defend myself, this can include a little punch, making the guy go to ground and take the mount position for example.
I wouldn't have to defend myself like I fight in an MMA competition.
Goddamn hell, think about it before saying something like that man.

That's not because you I can someone that I'll kill him, I'll defend myself using the minimum.

The other sides of MMA = Fitness, like I said.

Journeyman
Oct 12, 2008, 09:15 PM
To the last poster, stop being stupid.
haha you didn't think a second about what you said.
If I was to defend myself, I sure as hell won't knee the guy's face as hard as I can, please use some judgement.
I'd use as much as I need to defend myself, this can include a little punch, making the guy go to ground and take the mount position for example.
I wouldn't have to defend myself like I fight in an MMA competition.
Goddamn hell, think about it before saying something like that man.

That's not because you I can someone that I'll kill him, I'll defend myself using the minimum.

The other sides of MMA = Fitness, like I said.

sigh.....

tempers are running hot all around on bwc today :(

please don't turn this into a street fighting thread

Chico
Oct 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
sigh.....

tempers are running hot all around on bwc today :(

please don't turn this into a street fighting thread

Please don't turn this into an internet flame wars :P

Journeyman
Oct 13, 2008, 05:07 PM
Please don't turn this into an internet flame wars :P

Right you are. Let's agree to disagree on this one bro.

Chico
Oct 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
Right you are. Let's agree to disagree on this one bro.

Ok, I agree to disagree on what I said, start the flamewar!

Fatman
Oct 17, 2008, 12:44 PM
Can I also advertise my McDojo philosophy here?

I don't get you guys who argue over the best way to neutralize an assailant. You are foolish to remain blind to the truth. One True Way of Dragon is all you need. It has been tested and confirmed in an independent study performed by an... umm... this really cool researcher from Harvard. Or Yale.

Check out this rockin' pic of me with the ninja sword thingy. Then if you want to join, send me $55.95 (to cover three months' tuition fees, a signed shirtless photo of Sifu Fatman and a really hard-core certificate of street-fighting proficiency, black belt of course):

CSta
Oct 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
Can I get fries with that?

Journeyman
Oct 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
Fatman has the general situation in a nutshell. With fries on the side.

Fatman
Oct 18, 2008, 08:51 AM
Can I get fries with that?

Sure. One True Way of Dragon encourages the consumption of fries, as seen in my ad.

Ashiro
Nov 08, 2008, 09:11 PM
To be honest I think a good well-rounded Japanese ju jutsu dojo would be best for self defence as well as giving you a good base for competition. In our club we do 3 areas - sport/kumite, self defence and koryu (traditional).

Doing all three builds on itself and tt really helps crystalise key techniques when you learn it for three different arenas.

For example: Although learning how nikyo can be applied when someone grabs your sword (koryu application) may not be useful in the street. It helps in understanding the technique at its core level - the dynamic of the lock, as opposed to a cookie-cutter usage in a set situation.

This ultimately helps you to adapt the style and learn variations much quicker.

Kanik
Nov 10, 2008, 05:25 PM
I dont really have any love for MMA... In fact, MMA is really getting on my nerves as of recent. I am by no means a starchy traditionalist. Though I do value the traditional arts much more than MMA. I Beleive to be a good martial artist, you need a strong, and good foundation in one style to begin with, once you have that, then you can think about mixing martial arts. But thats my personal beleif and oppinion, another one of my personal beleifs and oppinions, is that a good traditional martial artist (And I mean a GOOD one, not some idiot too cauight up with mis-translations of classics) could kick any "modern" or "effective" martial arts practitioner.

SpartanKimura
Nov 12, 2008, 12:34 AM
I take Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling. Pretty standard, but it's standard for a reason. I did four years of Ketto Ryu Ju-Jutsu and military martial arts before starting sport jiu-jitsu as well.

samuraibill
Dec 20, 2008, 02:01 PM
the best martial art is like trying to date a girl with specific hair color. The one you can date is the best.

I love judo and aikido....aikido is my favorite but i am better at judo. Does that make sense? Pick one that you can practically use and have fun with it.

garythenuke
Dec 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
I do martial arts because I enjoy the heck out of it. I did Tae Kwon Do as a teenager and then Aikido for several years in college and after. I may still have my Hakama.
Now I dabble in Muay Thai. It is an absolute blast. I am not serious at all with it, but I have a heavy bag that I practice punches elbows and kicks with. I have a double ended speed bag that I use for most of my warmups and I have some motorcycle tires mounted on a 4x4 in the ground that I kick with my shins. My shins are red and rosey right now from todays fray.
I think that you need to study for a long time before a martial art would be effective in a street fight. Until you are pretty darned proficient you run more of a risk of hurting yourself of just getting your a$$ beat if you try some fancy moves against a street fighter. In Aikido you are not even considered a "serious student" until you have your first degree black belt. I'm not sure what the other pajama party arts use as their cutoff.
One of the things that attracted me to Muay Thai is that you don't have belts. You wear shorts to train in. Then you train and you fight. If you lose you know you need to train harder. BJJ is a pretty good accompaniment to MT if you can make the connection at one school. Bottom line is to train as much as you possibly can if you think you will actually use it.
But as Mr Mayagi said..." Best defense, no be there"... There is no shame in running unless family is in danger. In that case, "unleash Hell" and don't look back... But that's a whole 'nother discussion

Dave.cyco
Dec 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
1. In Aikido you are not even considered a "serious student" until you have your first degree black belt. I'm not sure what the other pajama party arts use as their cutoff...

2. But as Mr Mayagi said..." Best defense, no be there"... There is no shame in running unless family is in danger...

1. Pajama party arts! HAHAHA!

2. True, true. Street fights are almost always caused by ego, the worst reason of all to fight.

Laza MMA
Jan 02, 2009, 02:25 PM
i do mma and i think thats the best sport for self defence really, everything that you have in a street fight is in this beautiful sport

gilstrap
Jan 02, 2009, 02:33 PM
im a black belt in judo and boxed for my county as a youth but in this day and age try and avoid trouble we live in godless times im sorry to say martial arts are good for keep fit and will give you some degree of skill but that means sh-t to a coked up moran with a knife or bottle remember he who turns and runs away lives to fight another day

Dave.cyco
Jan 02, 2009, 04:18 PM
i do mma and i think thats the best sport for self defence really, everything that you have in a street fight is in this beautiful sport

Including tapping out, 5 minutes rounds and disqualifications for illegal blows?

...in this day and age try and avoid trouble we live in godless times im sorry to say martial arts are good for keep fit and will give you some degree of skill but that means sh-t to a coked up moran with a knife or bottle remember he who turns and runs away lives to fight another day

Sadly most people have turned away from God, and yes, there are some real psychos that will take their anger way way too far.

garythenuke
Jan 02, 2009, 05:18 PM
For any sort of real confrontation the only martial art I would stake my life (or my families' lives) on are Glock-Jitsu or Mossberg-kwon-do. Maybe Remmington-fu for good measure. Lousiville-Slugger-jutsu could do in a pinch.

Dave.cyco
Jan 02, 2009, 05:53 PM
I hate violence of any kind. Martial arts are just a way to be fit and help maintain composure in a confrontation. Every human being (unless psychotic or possesed) has a faculty of reason, and a desire for acknowledgment, though these things manifest themselves in various, sometimes difficult to understand ways.

That's why the most effective martial art of all, when skillfully and wisely applied, is that of diplomacy.

garythenuke
Jan 02, 2009, 06:17 PM
Darned straight Dave. I agree completely. My first preference is the art of avoiding situations that may lead to confrontations. That means crowded situations, bars, large parties, large events and such. Maybe that makes my life boring, but it keeps me from going into hyper defense mode all the time. My nervous system could not handle it on a regular large scale basis.

gilstrap
Jan 03, 2009, 10:50 AM
theres nothing boring in avoiding pointless confrontation , i avoid people with no moral fabric like the plauge , why get into a fight over a parking space lifes to short , the papers are full of people who die pointlessly god gave us life and it should be cherished ,when drunken morans spend sunday morning in hospital recovering
with brain damage,im out playing in the garden with my kids QED

garythenuke
Jan 03, 2009, 11:01 AM
Great attitude gilstrap. I agree 100%.

cheesedog
Jan 04, 2009, 12:59 AM
theres nothing boring in avoiding pointless confrontation , i avoid people with no moral fabric like the plauge , why get into a fight over a parking space lifes to short , the papers are full of people who die pointlessly god gave us life and it should be cherished ,when drunken morans spend sunday morning in hospital recovering
with brain damage,im out playing in the garden with my kids QED

Well said!

athletic_over_mass
Jan 06, 2009, 12:07 AM
I currently do Jiu-Jitsu and am starting muay thai in the summer

garythenuke
Jan 06, 2009, 10:50 AM
I currently do Jiu-Jitsu and am starting muay thai in the summer

That is a great combination. Actually perfect in my opinion. If you have good schools and good instructors you won't have any "holes" in your armor. It is amazingly difficult to find this combination in one area. Good for you!!

gilstrap
Jan 06, 2009, 01:45 PM
i would love to be able to mix my judo training up but we just dont have the variety of of good martial arts schools in the uk, i have to admit mma has started to take off in the uk and i saw an advert for bjj at a gym near by. so went along with a friend to see if it was any good what a waste of 5, i sparred lightly with the guy taking it and threw him round like a rag doll , now im not saying im good its just that he was that bad i think he must of just read a book by bas rutten and decided to start a class but the ironic thing is the class was full and its still full apparently , it just goes to show some people will believe anything.

Dave.cyco
Jan 06, 2009, 01:50 PM
That is a great combination. Actually perfect in my opinion. If you have good schools and good instructors you won't have any "holes" in your armor. It is amazingly difficult to find this combination in one area. Good for you!!

I was actually thinking the same thing. With the right teachers, that is one capable h2h fighter.

...he must of just read a book by bas rutten and decided to start a class but the ironic thing is the class was full and its still full apparently , it just goes to show some people will believe anything.

Yeah, sadly I was one of those people. The rumor has it that my first 'sensei' actually started his club when he had a blue belt, and then went to Toronto and paid someone to grade him for black. Maybe true, maybe not, but it sure could have been. Go easy on my I was just a teen.:oops:

gilstrap
Jan 06, 2009, 02:03 PM
to be fair dave im nearly 40 so im a bit wiser , if i was in my teens i would have fell for it hook line and sinker , when i was 16 i went to this gym where this guy was teaching something called street defense what a looney his idea of martial arts was that if someone say knocked your drink in a bar say you would strike them in the eyes fingers extended and blind them great move if you want to spend 10 years in jail ,