PDA

View Full Version : Great Gama

gorila
Sep 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have read a few articles of the Great Gama of India in the internet and he was impressive. Matt Furey has made a course called THE GREAT GAMA COURSE. My question is what is the difference between combat conditioning and the advance course.

What makes it so good? Is it the nutrition, the exercises, the philosophy
or the training system?

Thanks.

olinek
Sep 17, 2008, 05:20 PM
It isn't as good as Furey's "learn to take a crap" course.

Journeyman
Sep 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
It's just Furey saying the same things again. He might give a few hindu pushup variations though, so blow $400 why don't you.

Journeyman
Sep 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
Gama's actual training: do as many reps of squats and pushups as possible (preferably in the thousands). Wrestle with 20-40 opponents in a row without stopping.
Swing a mace bell around your head.
Slam a heavy hoe into the ground multiple times (like sledgehammer swings).

Eat a high protein, high fat diet including meats, lots of dairy, concentrated animal fat, soups and grains.

Train like this for 20 years then go out and become the world's greatest wrestler.

When Gama was 10 he could do 500 squats/pushups easily.

So there is his training program. Good luck!

I'm just saying that no one can duplicate the man's training, he was insane. And Matt Furey can not make you the next Gama.

Cheeze_Baron
Sep 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
For the price Furey is charging you could stock a whole shelf w/ quality books and dvds on fitness. Not to mention the equipment you could pick up. As for Furey's advance course, its probaly variations of the exercises in his first book and progressions to do them, maybe a bunch of black and white pictures. Most likely bodyweight stuff. The only useful thing from combat conditioning is the list of additional(not the royal court) exercises that could be utilized for circuit drills.

Journeyman
Sep 17, 2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry to 'burst your bubble' so to speak gorila

gorila
Sep 18, 2008, 03:30 PM
Gama's actual training: do as many reps of squats and pushups as possible (preferably in the thousands). Wrestle with 20-40 opponents in a row without stopping.

Eat a high protein, high fat diet including meats, lots of dairy, concentrated animal fat, soups and grains.

Train like this for 20 years then go out and become the world's greatest wrestler.

I'm just saying that no one can duplicate the man's training, he was insane. And Matt Furey can not make you the next Gama.

Did the Great Gama actually eat meat? I heard that he was vegetarean.

Have you heard the story of the Great Atom and how he got super strong.
I heard that after talking to the Great Gama he decided to train usin Isometrics.

Even at his 70's he still kept a good amount of strenght(He could break chains with his teet). I read this from a book that talked about Isometric Power. The book also talked about a lot of people that trained with Isometrics including Bruce Lee, Great Gama, Alexader Zass, and many others.

Journeyman
Sep 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have heard about Gama using isometrics but nothing defenite. If you want to train like the Atom, listen to Peter Ragnar, another strongman.

And I have heard from every source about Gama that he ate large amounts of mutton, chicken, almond paste, ghee, duck bone soup, and other high fat/protein sources including lots of meat.

Raja
Sep 19, 2008, 02:31 AM
The great gama like many other Indian wrestlers suffered severe joint problems later in life. Not to mention the guy didn't exactly have an aesthetic physique. However a goal of 100 hindu squats and 50 hindu pushups would be great to build up some total body muscle endurance. Oh and don't buy Furey's overpriced material.

cheesedog
Sep 20, 2008, 02:08 AM
The great gama like many other Indian wrestlers suffered severe joint problems later in life. Not to mention the guy didn't exactly have an aesthetic physique. H

That's true. Funny how you don't hear Furey mentioning THAT little tidbit.

Journeyman
Sep 20, 2008, 10:23 AM

Funny how he doesn't mention A LOT of stuff. However, look at the second line of my sig...

The CC exercises work, just don't overdo them! And you can get them other places without having to pay, as I always say, which is so much better.

Fatman
Sep 21, 2008, 08:47 AM

Well, that might put his own (fat) ass in the spotlight. And he ain't stupid.

Demarcoa basically summed it up. There was a free PDF on the Great Gama that included his entire training regime, plus some cultural info on wrestling in India. Look for that on Google, type in "Great Gama" and search away...

Journeyman
Sep 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
Furey is indeed a sly marketer.

The info I originally got on Gama was in a most excellent book, Martial Arts in the Modern World. It spent a chapter detailing the careers of the Indian wrestlers, especially Gama.

And yeah if you run a google search tons of stuff comes up.

Raja
Sep 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
I can't believe that Furey charges $40 for that poorly illustrated book of his. I say do a youtube search on the exercises and you should be fine.

gorila
Sep 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
Is there an Article that talks about Indian wrestlers hurting their knees
because I heard that Karl Gotch once did 9001 and he was old.
To do 1000 takes tones of concentration and to do a little over 9000
is impresive.

I heard that karl Gotch said that it was impossible that indian wrestlers were doing 4000 of these a day. It's just a teory of mine but I think that you get hurt doing high rep squats or any other exercise when you start to think mechanical, for example squats when instead of going down stoping by muscle control and then coming back up some times you choose to just drop and come back up like if you were hoping.

The movement should be down stop by muscle control and then rise.
This should help keep your knees alright.

I would like to hear your oppinion.

IronWolverine
Nov 05, 2009, 08:28 AM

the great gama was ahead of his time...a beast for real.

GamaGama42
Nov 07, 2009, 05:14 PM
I got a hold of Furey's Gama Fitness course about a year and a half ago. It's the core of what I do, and it has helped me, but since I didn't have any kind of workout routine before that, almost anything would have helped.

The main things in the Gama course that aren't in Combat Fitness are that he adds a lot of visualization and breathing techniques, and does a chapter on isometrics. These are good, but you can read about them elsewhere and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

As far as doing thousands of squats/pushups, Furey talks about that, too. His idea is that you do an extreme ridiculous amount of reps once in a while to push/test your limits. Gotch did 9,000 squats one time, but not every day. He speculates that Gama probably did 5,000 squats every now and them, but not all the time.

Matt Furey suggests that once or twice a month you should do a really hard workout that goes far beyond your normal routine. The rest of the time you alternate hard days, easy days, and "rest days" where you don't truly rest but simply cross train, go for a long walk, or try something completely diffferent that's still physical activity.

By the way, it's not surprising that Gama ate meat. When India was split into India/Pakistan, Gama chose to live in Pakistan, so he was probably Muslim, not Hindu, and therefore had no religious taboo against eating meat.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's been doing Hindu pushups/squats for several decades. What's the longevity effect?

richirich
Feb 27, 2014, 03:56 PM
The great gama like many other Indian wrestlers suffered severe joint problems later in life. Not to mention the guy didn't exactly have an aesthetic physique. However a goal of 100 hindu squats and 50 hindu pushups would be great to build up some total body muscle endurance. Oh and don't buy Furey's overpriced material.What are you talking about? The Gama had an incredible physique, just because he wasn't cut up doesn't mean he didn't have strength, he actually had a lot of strength, even more than people right now, he is the only person in the history of wrestling with 5,000 wins and 0 losses, he used to pin the most elite wrestlers on the planet in his time in less than 6.4 seconds, he won against everybody in India and Europe, he used to pin opponents who were 7 ft tall easily, and he is also known to carry a 1,200 kg stone for a couple of distances on his chest, that's 2,640 pounds, and obviously the fact that he travelled many distances carrying that stone means that it wasn't even his max, men in today's strongman competitions barely lift 500 pound stones for a few seconds, even Bruce Lee used the Gama's workout, and in case you haven't noticed, weightlifters don't have 6 pacs. The Gama was in a league of his own and technically he wasn't Indian, he was of Kashmiri Gujjar stock, they're known to be wrestlers.

steadfast
Apr 28, 2014, 10:14 AM
Gama was definitely a bit pudgy in certain areas no denying that, but who cares!? The man, for his time, was an incredible man and his physical strength/endurance were phenomenal and coming from a sport where everyone had pretty good stamina anyway that's saying something.