PDA

View Full Version : Workout Question Muay Thai help :)

kcee
Sep 03, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hey fellas
I've been planning to start Muay Thai soon (in a month), and hopefully start fighting (in the ring of course :p) later on.
well I'm a fairly skinny guy, I'm around 177cm's tall and only 65kg's :(, which I think is just lack of muscle.
I was planning to maybe build my strength and fitness before I join, and hopefully bulk up but only by a little bit.
Is it better for my to go straight into plyometrics to build explosive power (will it build muscle?) as well as other body weight exercise, or is it better to bulk up, and then work on the fast twitch muscle fibers, so I can punch faster etc.
I personally think that I should just do plyometrics and various body weight exercises, as well as the other exercises that you guy's have posted in other threads.
I'm fairly active at school (year 12) and do PE there, but I feel my leg's aren't that strong. So i'll probably be working on that too.

so yeah, should i just get right into it, and work up from there. or build up my physical strength and then get into it??

I any other tips are fine and i'll be highly greatful of them :mrgreen:

knuckledragger74
Sep 03, 2008, 09:27 AM
Your best bet is to join the muay thai gym and let your trainer work you into shape. I started mma about 4 months ago. The conditioning routines my coach put me thru were totally different than what I would of done to prep.

silentassassin
Sep 03, 2008, 03:28 PM
for muay thai you will need to be flexible so stretch, you will also need stamina, (I recommend burpees and stuff like that) as for strength and endurance bw exercises will do good and for power plyometrics and isometrics will help you out there

cheesedog
Sep 04, 2008, 01:16 AM
Here's a link to a program I wrote up for a guy training in football awhile ago, it's based on a program I worked up for kickboxing. Feel free to use any of it you like.

http://bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9399

timfortehwin
Sep 04, 2008, 04:45 AM
i would certainly join the thai gym and see what they say. other than that, try to eat a ton of food - mainly lots of protein and carbs.

when you're not at your muay thai gym, do plenty of press-ups, rows, squats and lunges and I guarantee you'll put on a bit of weight.
be sure to eat protein + carbs with no fat (something like low-fat milkshake) after exercise.

Jamesy_uk
Sep 04, 2008, 05:11 AM
One thing to note and I can't stress it enough from when I first started to do Muay Thai... calf muscles
My god when I first started the thing that ached more than anything for at least the first month were my calf muscles from all the weight shifting footwork. Make sure you practice stretching and get some work in on those muscles now to save some pain and walking like an old man heh.

kcee
Sep 04, 2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the very informative replies guys :)
that program will help a lot cheesedog,
i'm gonna have to go work my calves heaps! their so weak my whole legs in general are.

i'm off to skip now and work my core :)
wish me luck:P

exmootie
Sep 04, 2008, 01:01 PM
Have to agree with jamesyuk. Having done mauythai myself, your legs are probably most important strengthwise. Yeah, skip till you drop, and do plenty of calf raises ,as you fight with your heels off the ground.

Dave.cyco
Sep 04, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hill sprints will do you alot of good too, and blow your calves up more than most other forms of training.

Raja
Sep 08, 2008, 01:38 AM
Flexibility training is probably the most important. Muay thai is not about strength but about using your limbs like whips. For this you need to be loose. Tension is the opposite of power. I absolutely love it when my Muay Thai instructor smiles as he delivers a devastating roundhouse. Now I'm spending 15min a day regardless on flexibility. Due to this I've grown a new appreciation for hindu squats and pushups.

kcee
Sep 08, 2008, 03:27 AM
do you mind sharing your flexibility routine with me?? :P
and is it fine to continue stretching even after your muscles are sore from working out?

silentassassin
Sep 08, 2008, 01:15 PM
one of the best times is to stretch is when you sore it will help you get rid of the soreness quicker

cheesedog
Sep 09, 2008, 01:20 AM
do you mind sharing your flexibility routine with me?? :P
and is it fine to continue stretching even after your muscles are sore from working out?

The flexibility program I use is pretty simple, it's just 10 stretches that pretty much hit your whole body. Hold each stretch 10 seconds and repeat 2-3 times. I used to have a link with some good pictures but it's not working, hope my descriptions are clear.

1. Sitting spread leg stretch, spread legs as wide as you can and stretch forward and to each foot.
2. Sitting hamstring stretch with legs together. Stretches hamstings and low back.
3. Sitting hamstring stretch. Sit with one leg out and one leg bent with the heel near your groin. Reach out over the strainght leg. Switch and repeat.
4. Tablemaker stretch. Sit on floor with knees up, hands behind you with fingers pointing back, lift butt up to a table pose. Stretches shoulders, wrists.
5. Seated twist. One leg out in front, the other bent and crossed over. Twist torso to opposite side as the bent-leg foot.
6. Cobra pose, lie on stomach and put hands under shoulders, push upper body up while keeping hips and legs on ground.
7. Bow stretch, lie on stomach, reach behind you and grab your ankles, Arch back and bring legs and chest up off the floor.
8. Windshield wiper stretch. Lie on back with arms strainght out to sides, raise both legs straight up and bring legs down to ground on the left side and hold. Repeat on other side.
9. Plow pose. Keeping head and shoulders on floor, bring legs overhead until they touch the ground overhead.
10. Wheel pose or Gymnasts Bridge. Lie on back, bring feet up to butt and hands under your shoulders and arch up.

And when you are sore it's a great time to stretch.

kcee
Sep 09, 2008, 02:25 AM
cheers for that cheesedog, i've read that it's better to hold each stretch for around 1 minute each (when trying to increase your flexabiltiy), is that true?

Raja
Sep 09, 2008, 02:38 AM
The stretches Cheesedog posted are about the same as what I do. I also spend quite a bit of time doing hip rotations, back twists, and very light shadowboxing. Learning to be loose is very hard to do since our main instinct is to tense up before hitting.

cheesedog
Sep 09, 2008, 07:51 PM
cheers for that cheesedog, i've read that it's better to hold each stretch for around 1 minute each (when trying to increase your flexabiltiy), is that true?

That's a matter for a bit of experimentation IMO. Personally I have found that some muscles (like hamstrings, shoulders, and quads) seem to stretch better with shorter times, usually about 3 sets of 10-12 seconds each, while other muscles (like adductors, groin muscles, hip flexors) seem to like longer stretches, although I don't think I've ever gone up to a minute, other than when doing spread leg stretches and that's just because I just keep my legs spread wide while going 3 times to the front and 3 times to each foot.

But experiment and see how YOUR body reacts!