PDA

View Full Version : Karate Tips

Dave.cyco
Aug 28, 2008, 05:48 PM
I subscribe to a newsletter from Jason Stanley, a 4th Dan Shitoryu instructor. I felt that today's email was worth sharing with you guys.

http://www.karatetips.com/articles/ritualizedcombat.asp

cheesedog
Aug 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
Yes, seen those types of behaviors before, back when I was a bartender. Good article!

Dave.cyco
Aug 31, 2008, 09:02 PM
I used to be a DJ and bouncer at a "gentlemen's club":roll: in my town. This was, of course, before I became a believer in Christ I should be quick to point out.

I have two pretty noteworthy stories. The first one involves a group of players from the Toronto Argonauts who were in town. They were friends with one of our regulars who was a pretty stand up guy, although quite cocky and a bit of a know it all. They were being cool and enjoying their night, when a group of troublesome rednecks began dropping the 'N' word.

Long story short, one of the Argos or maybe it was a redneck, I can't remember anymore, picked up one of the chairs (fortunately these were the cheapo plastic kind) and smashed it down on the other guy's head, breaking the overhead black light. Chaos ensued and the cops ended up on the scene within about 5-10 minutes I think.

There were only two of us doormen on that night, and about half a dozen people in each of the two groups, so all we could do was hang back, especially since the two of together might have weighed *almost* as much as the biggest of the Toronto guys.

One guy got a bit beat up but other than that night and a couple other incidents that place was quite peaceful.

So Cheesdog, you were a bartender, huh? What kind of bar? What was the craziest thing that ever went down?

cheesedog
Sep 01, 2008, 12:53 AM
It was your basic "sports bar" but there were usually enough doormen around to keep things civil. I personally never had anything go past the verbal stage. Although I do credit my kempo training for being calm and confident enough that nothing ever had to get physical.

Dave.cyco
Sep 01, 2008, 07:08 PM
My guess is it was the shifty eyes that kept everyone in line.:D

TheMasterKey
Sep 01, 2008, 07:53 PM
Cheesedog definetly has my vote for the best avatar. :-D

cheesedog
Sep 02, 2008, 12:08 AM
My guess is it was the shifty eyes that kept everyone in line.:D

That's the secret!! SHHHHHH!!!

theshredder157
Oct 06, 2008, 02:09 PM